CVU’s Premiere Golf Course Gets Some Respect

Mr. Samuel Comai, CVC Leisure Sports Correspondent

The student body seems to be quick to judge the new frisbee golf course behind CVU. Insults from some CVU students have been aggressive and ill-informed. With misinformation circulating, it is important to put the truth of the course at the forefront of this discussion. The extensive surveying, design, and work put into the course do not match the respect it is getting. Carol Fox of the Wellness Committee, puts forward an honest takef about this fantastic resource.

Screenshot 2018-03-13 at 8.05.30 AM

In the warmer months of the year, it is common to hear kids complain and insult the “frisbee golf” course. “Why would the school waste $20,000 destroying the forest and putting in a course that will never be used?” some of them wonder. “Think about everything else we could use that money for,” others assert. It is quite obvious that a large percent of the student body is unaware of the facts behind The Hawks Nest. The most widely spread misconception is that $20,000 of the school’s budget was used for the course, which in fact is not where the money came from.

The project started under former athletic director, Kevin Riell, and “The Hawks’ Nest” has a long history of planning, design, and consideration. “Some of the best minds in the state were brought in for the project,” says Carol Fox of the Wellness Committee. She remarked that “Jeffrey Spring, who developed the course at Smugglers Notch, was asked to design and oversee the course along with Chris Young of The Green Mountain Disc Alliance, and Kurt Proulx who helped decide on a sustainable location for the course.”

In August of 2015, the plans for The Hawks’ Nest were set in action by the Wellness Committee for employee wellness. The committee works to set up sustainable projects through grants from the VEHI (Vermont Education Health Initiative). In 2015, the employees of CVU collectively agreed to give their portion of the VEHI grant for the construction of the course. With $20,000 allocated for the course, the two-year project began.  

Despite many CVU students being skeptical about the course, people in the Champlain Valley community have embraced it and are very positive about the new addition. “I definitely enjoy the course. It’s a good time and is on some pretty cool terrain,” local frisbee golfer, Jayce Slesar, comments.

There’s no good reason to not take advantage of the course. Discs can be borrowed from any of the LTS teachers, including Scott Bliss and Deb Higgins. The course offers a variety of terrain and obstacles. Players can also observe the goats and ropes course, which are other great initiatives started by CVU staff members.

The 2016/17 school year marked the opening of the course. The disc golf community, in particular, is very excited about the new course. “It is likely that you will see adults out there playing after school or on the weekends,” Carol Fox remarks.

Is it possible in the future that this course could kindle excitement among the student body? The opportunities are endless for new ideas and additions to the course. Who knows? In the coming years, we could start a Kiosk or a competition. Perhaps then the students would be more interested.

Editor’s Note: Since the publication of this article, a tournament has been scheduled, The Redhawk Ridge Open, scheduled for July.

unnamed

cvceditor